I love the month of March. It means spring is on its way, though the winter here in Boise was not too bad. It means my birthday is around the corner and I’m trying really hard not to think about getting older, but hoping I’m getting wiser. Ha! I’m excited to see my lawn turning green and buds starting to form on the branches of the trees in our yard. Spring makes me smile. This Cauliflower Couscous Salad also makes me smile because a) it’s incredibly fresh and delicious, b) it’s Healthy with a capital ‘H’, and c) it’s colorful and I love pretty food.
This salad is actually based on one from a favorite book on my shelf called, Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes by Jane Coxwell. I reviewed the cover recipe about two years ago and it’s remained a favorite ever since. I make some version of this salad once a month or so because I adore it. The original recipe uses cooked quinoa as the base. I’ve swapped that out for cauliflower “couscous” which is equally delicious, but lower in carbs and calories. (Not that quinoa isn’t healthy.)
If you’re a fan of crunchy, raw salads, this is one you’ll love. It’s loaded up with raw celery, carrots, cucumber, apple, a handful of fresh mint and a spicy jalapeño. For the cauliflower adverse, rest assured that the flavor is very mild and it’s a great way to eat your veggies without feeling like you are.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3–4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots (I used rainbow carrots)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor, working in two batches if needed, and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Toss well. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.