- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, drained and rinsed, any variety
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, your favorite variety
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- One (12 ounce) package Pamela’s Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Garnishes – cilantro, cashew cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Have an 8.5- by 11-inch casserole dish ready.
- Combine beans, salsa, and corn and spread evenly in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together Pamela’s Cornbread and Muffin Mix with sugar, water, oil, and eggs until combined. Some lumps may remain.
- Pour the batter evenly over the filling making sure to get it all the way to the edges. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. The cornbread crust will be golden and cooked through, and the filling bubbling around the edges. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick just into the cornbread. If it comes out clean, the tamale pie is done.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Garnish with your favorite toppings.
-The casserole may bake more quickly depending on the type of pan used. I used stoneware which took a little more time to heat up. Metal may cook a lot quicker; glass will be closer to the 30-35 minute mark.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Main