- For marinated tempeh:
- One 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons grape seed oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For salad:
- One 14-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 small head of Romaine lettuce, shredded (can also use 1 bunch kale, shredded)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- Tortilla chips
- Cashew sour cream
- Place tempeh in a shallow dish. Mix together lime juice, 1 Tablespoon grape seed oil, liquid smoke, maple syrup, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably a few hours. Stir every so often so it marinates evenly.
- To cook, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon grape seed oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove tempeh from the marinade and cook for 5-10 minutes, turning the pieces over periodically so they brown evenly and crisp up.
- Meanwhile, start assembling salads. Divide the lettuce between four wide, shallow bowls. Top each with the black beans, and the warm tempeh. Spoon some of the diced avocado and salsa on top of each salad and drizzle with the cashew sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Salad, Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan