- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 4 Tablespoons tamari
- 1Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1–2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 1” piece of fresh ginger, grated
- Place two layers of paper towels on a plate and place the tofu on the towels. Top with two more layers of paper towels and another plate. Place a can or heavy bowl on top of the plate to weight it down. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes. The tofu will release quite a bit of liquid.
- Cut pressed tofu into 1/2-inch cubes or slightly larger slices. Place in a shallow baking pan.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over the tofu. Turn the tofu over to make sure it’s covered with the marinade. Cover the baking pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, preferably a few hours or overnight. Turn the tofu periodically for even marinating.
- To cook – over medium-high heat a 1 Tablespoon coconut or another high-heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Remove half of the tofu from the marinade and place in the skillet. It will probably splatter and sputter a bit, so use a splatter screen if you have one. Let the tofu cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Lower heat as necessary to prevent burning. Turn tofu and cook on the other side until golden. Remove and place on a plate, cover, and keep warm while cooking the remaining tofu. Repeat with second half of tofu. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main, Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Asian