- 1 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (regular lemon juice is fine)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 16 Tbsp.) COLD unsalted butter, diced
- In a 3 quart stainless steel or other non-reactive pan, combine sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, rub the sugar and zest together to release the oils. It will look wet and sandy and smell fantastic. Whisk in the egg yolks, whole eggs, and salt. Keep whisking until thick and light in color. Whisk in the lemon juice a little at a time.
- Cook over medium high heat, being careful not to let it boil, until thickened. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Whisk the cold butter, a few pieces at a time, into the lemon curd, waiting until each piece has melted and been incorporated before adding more. Whisk a few times more at the end to make sure all butter has been incorporated.
- Use as desired. Store in an airtight container or jar. Keeps about 1-2 weeks.
*I have tried to make this dairy-free a few times. You can use vegan buttery sticks or coconut oil. It has a slightly different texture and flavor than when using butter. Solid clarified butter or ghee can also be used.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: English