- For compote:
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- For pancakes:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons avocado or another flavorless oil, plus more for cooking
- For compote – place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook until thickened and syrupy. Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For pancakes – whisk dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk coconut milk, eggs, and oil. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Some lumps will remain.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle. Add a little oil. Ladle 1/3 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet or griddle. Let cook for 2 minutes or so. They will be ready to flip when the bubbles start to pop and the edges look set.
- Place pancakes on a plate or in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- To serve – top pancakes with the compote.
- Yields: 8-10 six-inch pancakes and about 2 cups compote
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast, brunch
- Cuisine: American