- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free blend (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup warm water (about 105-110 degrees F)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages Red Star Active Dry Yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups regular or non-dairy milk (I used light coconut)
- 8 Tablespoons regular or non-dairy butter or 100% pure vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange (reserve juice for glaze)
- melted regular or non-dairy butter, for greasing pan and brushing on top of dough
- juice of 1 large orange
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Place 2 cups of the gluten-free flour blend in the bowl of a large stand mixer. Add the xanthan gum and cardamom. Turn mixer on low to combine. Set remaining flour aside.
- Place warm water, yeast, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar together in a small bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Set aside for 5-10 minutes, or until yeast is foamy.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Stir until sugar is dissolved and do not let it boil. It should just be pretty hot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together with vanilla and orange zest. Carefully add the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream to the eggs and whisk well. Be sure to add the milk slowly so it doesn’t curdle the eggs. Let stand until still warm, but not hot.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the milk and egg mixture in a slow steady stream. Let mix, raising the speed to medium, until smooth. Add the yeast mixture. Lower the speed and add about 2 – 2 1/4 cups more of the gluten-free flour blend. The dough should be fairly sticky and smooth, but not too stiff. Turn off mixer and let dough stand for a few minutes.
- Grease a bundt pan. Transfer the dough to the pan and smooth it evenly. Brush the top with the melted butter or oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 45-60 minutes in a warm place. The dough won’t have doubled, but it will have risen quite a bit.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and baked through.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Make the glaze by whisking the orange juice and powdered sugar. Pour over the cake and let stand for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
-The cake is the very best the day it’s made. Wrap the leftovers well to prevent them from drying out. You can also cut into slices and freeze them individually.
-The cake is not very sweet. If you prefer a sweeter cake, add more sugar or make extra glaze.
Gluten-free flour blend:
3/4 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup sorghum or millet flour
3/4 cup sticky rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch
3/4 cup potato starch
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American