I think I finally perfected my gluten-free cornbread recipe. True, the recipe is based off of one from America’s Test Kitchen, but I have tweaked and tweaked over the years until it’s finally just right. My husband and kids are my faithful guinea pigs when it comes to gluten-free baking, and they all agreed that this is every bit as good as the original made with wheat flour. (High fives all around!) I love it when that happens. That’s what this is all about for me.
The inside is moist, not gummy. It’s not dry and overly crumbly – just the right amount you would expect from cornbread. I make this when I make cornbread sausage stuffing. I make this to go along with chili and soup. And most of the time, I make it just because it’s incredibly delicious and I love having a square with a little honey drizzled on it or plain for a morning snack after my green smoothie.
I think you’ll really love this recipe. I’ve been experimenting more and more with millet flour thanks to a tip from my friend Shanna of Pineapple and Coconut. It also makes the cornbread extra golden. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe!Print
Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe
A sweet, golden gluten-free cornbread that is moist and delcious.
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing the baking dish
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferable stone-ground
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum or millet flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” by 13” baking dish with butter.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl; whisk in the buttermilk and milk.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour the egg/milk mixture into the well. Stir with a whisk until just combined. Stir in the butter.
- Pour batter into the greased baking dish. Bake until the top is golden brown and the edges have pulled away form the sides of the pan, 30 to 40 minutes.
*I typically make this non-dairy for myself by using 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice mixed with almond milk (usually homemade). It does curdle the milk and so you may want to pop all the liquid ingredients into the blender and blend until combined.
*Feel free to use 2 cups of all-purpose flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour for the sorghum/millet flour, tapioca starch, and brown rice flour. Omit the xanthan gum if the GF mix already contains it or guar gum.
*I have also made a vegan version of this using flax eggs. Use 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 Tablespoons of water to replace 1 egg.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
I’m a sucker for good cornbread. I’d totally try this GF variety. :) Looks hearty.