Warm Pear Nutmeg Streusel Muffins, fresh from the oven, are the perfect fall breakfast or snack. I’ve been making a non-gf version of these muffins for years. The idea came to me the other morning to make a batch of gluten-free muffins and add diced pears to the batter. It was a brilliant move, if I do say so myself. :)
- For Streusel Topping:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter (or non-dairy vegan buttery sticks)
- For Muffins:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (use only for gluten-free)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (or non-dairy milk mixed with 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar)
- 1 large egg (or 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1 large pear, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease very well.
- Combine 1 1/3 cups flour and brown sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender, fork, or your hands, until crumbly. Remove 1/2 cup for streusel topping.
- Add the 2/3 cup flour and the other dry ingredients to the remaining streusel mixture. Beat egg and buttermilk together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the liquid. Stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into the wells of the prepared muffin pan. (I use my small ice cream scoop to make sure the cups have an even amount of batter. If making this with traditional wheat flour, you’ll get more like 14 muffins, or 12 really big muffins that overflow the pan. Your choice.) Sprinkle the reserved streusel topping evenly over the tops of the batter. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned. (Check after about 15 minutes. You don’t want these to over bake.) Let stand 5 minutes; remove from pan. Eat warm.
adapted from Land o’ Lakes Country Treasury Cookbook
Note: read directions carefully because the process is a little different than typical muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: bread
- Cuisine: American