Oh, butternut squash soup. I could wax poetic about how much I love it and how happy I am each year to make batch after batch. This year I decided to try something a little different by combing the butternut with fennel and roasting it in the oven. It’s pretty amazing what a little roasting can do for already delicious veggies. And thus Roasted Fennel and Butternut Squash Soup was born.
The irresistible scent of the roasted veggies wafted through my kitchen beckoning me to crack open the oven door and breathe in the sweet, anisey perfume.
As it has gotten colder, I’ve been roasting one chicken a week. I love that I can get three meals out of one chicken. Totally easy, delicious, and budget-friendly. Juicy roasted chicken is delectable, but the real reason I roast so many chickens is for the stock. You just can’t beat that flavor.
Homemade soup is good for the soul. It warms you inside and out. It’s nice to eat at a communal dinner table, but equally as enjoyable alone sitting by a window all wrapped up in your favorite blanket, sipping the steamy soup spoonful by spoonful.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced or diced
- 1 large fennel bulb, core and tough stalks removed, thinly sliced
- 4 cups butternut squash
- 4 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream or creme fraiche, optional
- optional garnishes: fresh fennel fronds and fennel pollen
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle a little olive oil in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish. Add the onion, fennel and butternut squash. Drizzle with a little more oil and toss to coat. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes until the fennel and butternut squash are tender. Remove from oven and place in a pot and cover with the stock or broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Puree soup using an immersion or traditional blender. If desired, add cream or creme fraiche, taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if needed. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with the fennel fronds and fennel pollen, if desired.
Other fennel recipes:
Strawberry Fennel Arugula Salad with Cacao Nibs
Shaved Fennel Salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano and Balsamico
Strawberry Pear Salad with Creamy Mustard and Fennel Pollen Dressing
Fennel and Orange Salad with Kalamata Olives and Microgreens
Cream of Fennel and Zucchini Soup with Fennel Pollen
Other butternut squash recipes:
Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Sage
Butternut Squash Cranberry Apple Bake
Butternut Squash Ravioli Lasagna
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad-Apple Salad with Thyme Vinaigrette
Hearty Kale, Butternut, Barley Soup