- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2–3 teaspoons finely grated lime zest (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh key lime juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
- pinch salt
- For garnish:
- crumbled graham or shortbread cookies, for sprinkling (I used gluten-free gingersnaps)
- cones or bowls, for serving
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, cream, milk, and lime zest in a 3-quart sauce pan. Heat over medium, being careful not to let it boil, until very hot to the touch. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk egg yolks with sugar and pinch of salt until thick and lighter in color. Slowly drizzle the hot milk and cream mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. When all of the hot milk mixture has been added, return the mixture to the pan and cook gently over medium heat until an instant read thermometer reaches at least 160°to 170°F, but no more than 180 degrees, or the custard will curdle. Remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh sieve. Stir in the fresh key lime juice. Cover and let chill until very cold.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer churned ice cream to an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze until firm enough to scoop. Will keep for up to a month in the freezer. To prevent frost from forming on the surface, press a piece of waxed or parchment paper against the top before putting the lid on the container.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins