My family often requests chicken gyros for dinner. It’s totally a family favorite. My oldest daughter loves those gyros and has ever since she was a year old. Tzatziki sauce is her favorite condiment. Her other love is shrimp. So this recipe is for her–three of her very favorite things in one–Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Shrimp Gyros with Rosemary Tzatziki Sauce.
So. Shrimp Gyros. They’re mighty fine and were a huge hit with my family. I always think of shrimp and garlic going together. The cheese and breadcrumbs give it a nice crunch that is really great with the soft pita bread and the fresh lettuce. And the tzatziki! Oh, mama! I made a variation of my favorite recipe using fresh rosemary in place of dill. SO GOOD.Print
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Shrimp Gyros with Rosemary Tzatziki Sauce
Fast, easy dinner recipe made with breaded shrimp served in pitas with rosemary tzatziki sauce.
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- For shrimp:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb. shrimp, thawed if frozen, deveined and shells and tails removed (I used 31/40 shrimp)
- 1 package Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Kraft Fresh Take
- fresh baby lettuce
- 6–8 pita breads
- Tzatziki sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated cucumber, squeezed or drained to remove some of the liquid
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped red or green onion
- 1–2 tsp. really flavorful extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely minced
- For shrimp: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the bread crumbs and cheese together in a small bowl. Dip each shrimp into the egg and then into the crumb/cheese mixture and lay in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- For tzatziki sauce: Whisk all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve:
- Layer a baby lettuce and few (4-5) shrimp on a pita bread, top with tzatziki, fold and eat.
- Yield: makes enough for 6-8 pitas.
Substitute the Fresh Take by combining 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Greek
I think this might be my daughter’s new favorite kind of gyro. :)
How to pictures:
Watch for the recipe for the chickpea salad tomorrow!
I know these aren’t technically tacos but they may need to go into our Taco Tuesday rotation. ;)