As promised, the recipe for the Layered Greek-Style Chickpea Salad. Truly, I haven’t met a chickpea salad I haven’t loved. But this one is the best I’ve ever made. I attribute that to all the goodies layered in the bowl with the chickpeas.
Aren’t the layers pretty? It makes it look a little more special, and my kids thought that was pretty fun.
Now can we talk about this dressing? Wowzers! It’s so simple and I’ve made similar dressings before, but the fresh oregano really did wonders for the vinaigrette and the chickpea salad. I found myself spooning up the vinaigrette at the bottom of the bowl and sipping it straight from the spoon.
We ate chickpea salad for days after the Shrimp Gyros were gone–by itself and on a bed of leafy greens. I love all of those flavors together!
Do you have a favorite chickpea salad? Leave your link in the comments for me to check out!Print
- For Chickpea Salad:
- 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled if desired, and diced
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium roasted red pepper, skin removed and diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2–4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- For Oregano Vinaigrette:
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar (red or white wine vinegar are good too)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For Chickpea Salad: In a medium glass bowl, layer chickpeas, cucumber, kalamata olive, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, red onion and feta cheese. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- For Oregano Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, pinch of sugar and a little salt and pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Swirl or shake until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the olive oil and oregano, replace lid and shake vigorously until combined. Chill until ready to serve.
- Pour dressing over the salad just before serving.
Note: For directions on cooking dried chickpeas, refer to this post. Chickpeas will require about two to three additional hours of cooking time. The cooking time depends on whether the slow cooker is set to low or high and the freshness of the dried chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
Other chickpea salad recipes I love:
Basic Chickpea Salad
Salmon Cakes with Leeks and Tartar Sauce with Chickpea Salad
ABC Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette (the “C” stands for chickpea!)
Seven Layer Greek Dip from Warm Vanilla Sugar
Recipes with similar flavors:
Quinoa-Buckwheat Salad with Cucumber, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers and Mozzarella
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
Grilled Lamb Patties
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Shrimp Gyros with Rosemary Tzatziki Sauce
Lamb Gyros from The Vintage Mixer
Greek Dill Lettuce Cups from Oh Sweet Basil