We’ve been enjoying perfectly lovely late fall weather. Very little rain or clouds. Some days it’s been warm enough to go outside without a jacket and feel the sunshine on your face. These days are fleeting and I’ve been enjoying every last one. I know the snow will be coming soon enough.
Even with the nice weather we’ve been experiencing, I am still making soup almost daily. This is a mash-up of two of my favorite soups – Caldo Verde (minus the potatoes) and French Onion Soup. It could not be more delicious. I really love a good kale soup. The kale holds up well to simmering in a pot of hot broth. I love the onion and leeks with the kale too. It just screams fall and winter.
I had mine sans bread, but gluten-free bread would be just fine here in place of the baguette toasts. Don’t, however, skimp on the Gruyere. It’s essential.
Onion, Leek and Kale Soup with Gruyere Toasts
Think of this soup as the progeny of Caldo Verde and French Onion Soup.
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1–2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 3 large or 6 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2–3 small leeks, thinly sliced and washed well
- 1 large bunch kale (about 6 leaves), stems removed, washed well and roughly chopped
- 4–6 cups homemade broth or stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 1 day old baguette, cut into 1/2” slices and toasted
- 1–2 cups shredded Gruyere (use more or less according to your preference)
- Heat the oil in a 3-4 quart pot. Add the onions and leeks. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they reduce in volume by about half and turn lightly golden.
- Add the kale and cook for a few minutes. Add the broth or stock, dried sage and bay leaf. Taste and add salt. Simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a few toasted baguette slices and shredded cheese. Place under a low broiler to melt cheese, if desired, or press down and the cheese will melt from the heat of the soup. Alternatively, top the toasts with the cheese and place under the broiler, then in the soup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: soup, main
- Cuisine: American
I love the looks of this soup! Those Gruyere toasts especially :)
Made this last night with swiss chard and it was fabulous! Thanks for the idea :)
Gorgeous, Lindsey! It looks so hearty and filling and I love everything and anything with kale!
This looks fabulous! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!