- For crust:
- 3/4 cup fine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2–4 Tbsp. ice water
- For filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (or more maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- For serving:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt sweetened with 1-2 tsp. sugar
- Candied Pecans
- For crust: Place the flours, sugar, orange zest, cardamom and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Scatter the cold butter over the dry ingredients. Pulse on and off until the dough is crumbly, with some smaller and larger pieces of butter.
- Mix the egg yolk with 2 Tbsp. of water and with the motor running, drizzle through the feed hold. Add more water, if needed, and continue pulsing until the dough starts to come together into a ball. (The sound will change to a kind of grinding sound and then you’ll know it’s time to stop.)
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form into a ball, wrap well in plastic wrap and chill for about 2 hours or overnight.
- For crust, filling and serving: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Press the chilled dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ tart pan with removable bottom. (I used a 9″ cake pan.)
- Whisk the cornstarch with the salt. Add the eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, cream and milk. Whisk until smooth. Pour into the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes and lower heat to 350 degrees F. for an additional 25 minutes. The custard should be set and the crust will be lightly golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing. Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
- Top with sweetened Greek yogurt and candied pecans.
- Makes one 9″ tart, 8-10 slices
Adapted slightly from Small Plates and Sweet Treats by Aran Goyoaga
For non-GF, substitute all-purpose flour for the GF flours
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American