- 1/2 cup apple cider (or juice)
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt, plus a little more for sprinkling
- fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 Tbsp. butter (for vegan use more olive oil or vegan butter)
- drizzle of olive oil
- 4 lbs. assorted root vegetables, cut into evenly sized wedges (such as potatoes, turnips, carrots, celery root, etc.)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the vegetables with the olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes, turning them over if necessary for even browning.
- While the vegetables are roasting, whisk the apple cider with the mustard and salt. (Start with less salt. The glaze will be very salty, but the saltiness with tame as the glaze is poured over the vegetables.) Bring to a simmer, and add the fresh thyme sprigs. Continue to simmer and let the glaze reduce a bit. It should be thicker, like a thin syrup.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Pour the glaze over the vegetables and gently toss so they are evenly coated. Place back in the oven for about 10-15 more minutes, turning the veggies halfway through, until the vegetables have absorbed most of the glaze.
- Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American