This salad is the love child of tabbouleh and caprese salad. All of the greatness comes together for a rockin’ salad that is as healthy as it is delicious and will have you going back for seconds and thirds.
My friend Amy was in town and in my evil plans to monopolize her whole day, I invited her over for lunch after we’d spent the morning at the park with our children. We gave them peanut butter sandwiches because I was out of Nutella. (Not uncommon at your house too, right?) But I couldn’t give Amy peanut butter. I have a reputation to uphold. :)
So we tossed this salad together in a hurry and spent a few more hours chatting. I ate the leftovers the next day for breakfast and lunch. And I think that’s what I’m making today for lunch too. Can’t get enough of it.
Of course, if you’re not gluten-free, then use bulghur wheat or farro, or couscous. Or forget the grains, and make the salad and dressing and then slurp the juices from the bottom of the bowl when you’re finished. (Not that I would ever do anything so uncivilized…)
- ½ cup organic quinoa
- ½ cup organic buckwheat groats (or kasha, which are toasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, diced (can use feta or your favorite cheese)
- 1 small handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced (or chiffonade)
- juice of 1 lemon
- a few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Toast quinoa and buckwheat in a dry, clean sauce pan until the kernels turn golden and smell toasty. Add 2 cups water and season with salt. Cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until cooked. (It will be done when the kernals have doubled in size and the quinoa turns sort of transparent.)
- Let the quinoa and buckwheat cool to room temperature. Mix the vegetables together in a serving bowl. Add the quinoa and buckwheat and toss. Just before serving, add the diced mozzarella, basil, lemon juice and olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.