- 2 cups whole blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 1/2 cups filberts (hazelnuts)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spread nuts in jelly roll pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly toasted. (Omit this step if using toasted nuts.)
- In small bowl stir together sugar and spices.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites at high speed, scraping bowl often, until soft peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes. Continue beating, gradually adding sugar mixture, until stiff peaks form, another 1 to 2 minutes. By hand, fold in orange zest and nuts.
- In same jelly roll pan, melt butter in oven—about 4 to 6 minutes. Spread nut mixture over butter. Bake, stirring every 5-10 minutes, for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until nuts are brown and no butter remains. Cool completely and transfer to an airtight container.
-As long as you have 5 cups of nuts, it doesn’t really matter if you have the ones specified in the recipe. You could even do all one kind of nut. The mix I buy from Costco includes Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews (really good), almonds, and pecans.
-Add other spices, if desired, such as clove, allspice, cardamom, cayenne or chili powder.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Candy, snack