This Frozen Coconut Key Lime Tart is really, really good. It’s so refreshing on a hot July day, or even a cold day in December. We love, love, love it! Really, we love anything with coconut and lime is sure to be a winner.
There is coconut in both the crust and the filling. That little bit of shredded coconut really adds something special to the crust. The filling has cream of coconut, which isn’t something I normally buy. Coco Lopez seems to be the brand I see most often. It adds more coconut flavor than using coconut cream or milk alone could add. It also adds some of the sweetness with the help of a little bit more sugar to offset the tart key lime juice.
- 9 full sheets of graham crackers (1 plastic sleeve)
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 16 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese (also called Neufchâtel)
- 1 can cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Juice from 12 key limes, about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- To make crust – Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the graham crackers, coconut, and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the melted butter until all of the crumbs are damp.
- Spray a 10″ tart pan (with or without a removable bottom is fine) with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer the crumbs in the tart pan. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup, ramekin, or glass to help press the crumbs evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool completely.
- To make filling – Wipe or rinse out bowl of the food processor and add all the cream cheese, cream of coconut, lime juice, and sugar. (No need to let the cream cheese soften for this.) Process until everything is incorporated, thick, and creamy. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and scrape the bowl of the food processor with a spatula.
- Add the chilled 1/2 cup heavy cream to the food processor and turn on for a few seconds until the cream has thickened. (Be careful not to over-process or it will turn to butter!)
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Freeze the tart for at least 3 hours or overnight. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving for easier slicing.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 15 mins