- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 heaping Tbsp. cocoa powder OR 4 ounces chopped unsweetened baking chocolate
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk, if needed, to thin sauce
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Once the foaming subsides, remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder or chopped unsweetened chocolate. Stir with a whisk or wooden spoon until smooth. It should smell fantastic.
- Place back on the burner. With the heat on low, add the sweetened condensed milk all at once and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring or whisking continuously. If the sauce thickens too much, whisk in a milk a little at a time. Remove from heat and transfer to a heat-safe jar.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
For a sweeter sauce, use less cocoa powder or baking chocolate, or use semi-sweet baking chocolate.
To change up the flavor, add a pure extract such as vanilla, peppermint, orange, raspberry, almond, coffee, coconut, etc. Or stir in a spoonful of peanut butter, a little strong-brewed coffee, chopped nuts, or even a little liqueur. Add after the final step before transferring to jar.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: dessert, sauce
- Cuisine: American