- For Crust:
- 9 full-size graham cracker sheets
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- For Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- One 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- For crust – Preheat oven to 350°F. Place graham cracker sheets in a large Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs in to a small mixing bowl. Add the sugar and melted butter. Toss together with a fork until all the crumbs are damp.
- Press crumbs into a tart pan with a removable bottom, or a 9″pie plate. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Be careful not to let it burn. Prepare filling while crust bakes.
- For filling – whisk together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. Pour over the hot crust and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Place tart pan on a wire rack and cool completely. Chill for two hours before serving, or until set enough to cut into clean slices.
- Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
If you can’t find key limes or bottled key lime juice (fresh is always best!), you can certainly substitute regular (Persian) lime juice, or even lemon juice for a new twist.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American