Brownie Cupcakes (From Martha Stewart)
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 (11 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips–Trader Joe’s is best
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt (optional, but I think it needs it)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (walnuts, or pecans)
Chocolate frosting (totally optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners. Spray well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and 8 ounces of chocolate. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and set aside. (You can use the microwave, but be VERY careful not to burn the chocolate. Check it after every 30 seconds to a minute and on 50% power.)
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together until well combined. Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the melted butter/chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining 3 ounces of chocolate and nuts.
4. Using a 2 oz. ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake until a firm crust forms on the cupcakes, about 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool, about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and continue to cool on a wire rack.
5. Ice cupcakes with a generous amount of chocolate frosting. (They are really rich and don’t really need the frosting, but hey–do what YOU like.)
Adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart