Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins
1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned, not instant)
1 cup buttermilk**
½ cup butter
½ cup dark brown sugar (can use light brown sugar)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
¼ cup- ½ cup raisins (if desired, soak raisins in very hot water for 15 minutes)
1. In a bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk and allow to soak for 1 hour.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan, or use paper liners. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. With and electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the butter mixture, alternating with the oat mixture. Fold in the raisins.
5. Fill the muffin pans 2/3 full. (I use an small ice cream scoop.) Bake for 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
**Note: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can add 1 tablespoon. lemon juice or white vinegar to milk. Let it stand a few minutes to curdle.