Can we all agree that September has just about the best variety and quantity of fruits and veggies of all the months? Maybe even combined? We’re already (almost) to the middle of September – is it fall or is it still summer? I love that the weather can’t quite decide. Cool, dewy mornings and warm, breezy afternoons are perfection, in my opinion. Know what else is perfection? Peach Muffins. And then we get to the Pecan Streusel. All the heart eyes emojis, right?
It’s been a few months since I’ve joined in on the #EatSeasonal fun. And I’ve missed it! Each month our little group of bloggers teams up to share recipes made with the freshest, best ingredients of the month. Naturally, I chose peaches. Peaches for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks, and everything in between. That’s how we roll during peach season.
So these muffins…sigh. Just so good.I started making these a few years ago and they quickly became one of our favorites. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to share the recipe! You can probably imagine – the fluffy muffins with the almost jam-like peaches, then that buttery, sweet pecan streusel on top. They’re like dessert. Dessert for breakfast. Tasty, tasty, tasty breakfast.
This method for this recipe is a little different than most other muffin recipes. The “crumb” is delicate and oh-so-tender thanks to the help from tangy buttermilk. Not that this will be a problem, but these are best fresh and warm out of the oven. They will last a few days stored in the fridge and warmed back up before eating.
And now we get to these gorgeous recipes my fellow bloggers have created…
So much drooling over these photos!
Coconut Curry Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Kitchen Confidante
Pear and Blackberry Almond Cake by Floating Kitchen
Homemade Pumpkin Pasta by Bless this Mess
Melon and Raspberry Soda Float by Letty’s Kitchen
Ratatouille Lasagna by Flavor the Moments
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Carrots and Radishes by Vintage Mixer
Harvest Tortilla Soup by Simple Bites
Pear and Fig Tarts with Goat Cheese and Honey by Food for My Family
- For Streusel Topping:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup cold butter, diced
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (if GF flour doesn't contain it already)
- For Muffins:
- ⅔ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 peach, peeled, pitted and diced (about ¾ cup)
- Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with papers or grease well.2. In a large bowl combine 1⅓ cups gluten-free flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with pastry blender, fork, or your hands, until crumbly. Remove ½ cup for streusel topping and place in another bowl. Mix with the ½ cup chopped pecans and set aside.3. Add the ⅔ cup gluten-free flour and the other dry ingredients to the remaining streusel mixture. Beat egg and buttermilk together; add vanilla and almond extracts. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the liquid. Stir just until moistened; stir in diced peaches.
- Spoon batter the prepared muffin pan. (I use my small ice cream scoop to make sure the cups have an even amount of batter.) Sprinkle the reserved streusel topping evenly over the tops of the batter and press gently so it stays put. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned. (Check after about 15 minutes. You don't want these to over-bake.) Let stand 5 minutes; remove from pan. Eat while warm.
-Sour cream or yogurt can be substituted for the buttermilk
-Walnuts or almonds can be substituted for the pecans
-Any stone fruit or berry can be substituted for the peaches. We also quite like dried cherries and fresh diced pears too.
Here are a few more of our favorite peach recipes:
Peach Streusel Pie
Peach Buttermilk Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Caramel Peach Ice Cream
Creamy Peach Tart
Honey-Balsamic Roasted Peach Sorbet
Peach + Rosemary Salad and Iced Tea Fizz
Peach Almond Praline Ice Cream Bombe
Gluten-Free Peach Custard Bars