Well, my love affair with raw kale salad continues. This time I’ve added some thinly sliced fennel, raspberries, red onion, and a sprinkle of hemp hearts. Perhaps an eclectic combination of flavors and textures, but definitely a good one. The golden vinaigrette is made with cold pressed flax seed oil and raw coconut vinegar.
August is quickly becoming one of my favorite months of the year. It bridges the gap between summer and fall. It is plentiful in fruit and vegetables of all kinds. That small purple onion came from a neighbor’s garden. I’m still not quite clear on how my daughter came to possess it. She came home after riding her scooter around the block with two purple onions in hand. Her stories are often amusing and we wonder if they are more fact or fiction. What I do know is that neighbor Wendy has a lovely garden and offered to share these onions with me through my little red-headed daughter. She was incredibly proud of herself, and into the salad one went. Fresh onions are awfully sweet and crisp – just what this salad needed.
My friend Becky from The Vintage Mixer is one who always takes advantage of the season’s best produce. She came up with a fun idea months ago where a bunch of us would team up and share recipes made with ingredients that were in season each month. It’s been incredibly fun and sometimes challenging to come up with new recipes. I’ve loved every minute. To follow along, we’re using the hashtag #EatSeasonal on Instagram and Twitter. We’d love for you to join in. Becky also posts a monthly guide with accompanying image that can be downloaded to use as a computer or mobile device wallpaper or background. It’s a great reminder about what’s in season each month. August’s guide can be found here.
Be sure to check out these gorgeous recipes made with fresh August produce:
Peach Lavender Crisp by Climbing Grier Mountain
Summer Vegetable Tostadas by Mountain Mama Cooks
Plum Olive Oil Cake by Molly Yeh
Kale Salad with Berries by Cafe Johnsonia
Tomato Nasturtium Salad with Dates and Pistachios by Simple Bites
Simple Roasted Tomato Sauce by Foodie Crush
Watermelon Mojitos by Vintage Mixer
Fresh Peaches and Cream Pie by Lauren’s Latest
Fresh Cherry Wine Sauce with Ice Cream by Kitchen ConfidantePrint
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, roughly chopped
- 2 cups berries
- 2 Tablespoons raw hemp hearts
- 2 Tablespoons cold pressed flax seed oil
- 2 Tablespoosn raw coconut vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (or maple syrup to keep it vegan)
- Pinch sea salt
- Massage kale with your hands to make it more tender. Divide between four wide bowls. Arrange the sliced fennel, onions, and berries over the kale. Sprinkle with hemp hearts and chopped fennel fronds. Whisk flax seed oil with vinegar and raw honey. Season with sea salt. Pour over the salads and serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
What are you eating this month?