I love a good trail mix loaded with nuts, dried fruit, and more importantly, chocolate. This Winter Trail Mix is a fun twist on a classic trail mix. I’ve added some of my very favorites to make a festive mix that’s perfect for the holidays. Perfect for munching, crunching, or giving as a gift to a friend.
I found some whole dried cranberries at Trader Joe’s, so I snatched those right up. I loved dried cranberries and the whole ones are even better than the pieces. If you can find them, use those, but any kind of dried cranberries will be fine. If you don’t like cranberries, use dried cherries instead.
I’ve added homemade gingerbread granola because I can’t stop making it – it’s that good. And because I liked the deep molasses and spice flavor it added. Each handful has something spicy (not hot), sweet, tart, chewy, crunchy, and salty. Just like every snack mix should. Feel free to swap out the items I’ve used for your own favorites. Another time I might substitute rosemary pecans for the granola to add a savory element.
- 1 cup dry roasted salted pistachios, shelled
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (for vegan use these or dark chocolate)
- 1 cup candied or raw almonds
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought granola clusters (see below for recipe)
- Mix everything together in a bowl. Transfer to jars or bags to give away, or keep in an airtight container or bag.
- 3½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon finely ground white pepper (optional)
- In a small saucepan, stir together brown sugar, honey, molasses, coconut oil, salt and all of the spices. Heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, just until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour the syrup over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well-coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely. Break into clusters. Store in airtight container until ready to use.