I went to New York for a week in September and when I came back, summer had all but disappeared and autumn was here. And now it’s been autumn for weeks and weeks and it’s actually already snowed here! We’re heading into the last few days of October and I’m wondering how my favorite month can pass by so quickly. I suppose that’s why it does pass by in a flash. I could live in a world full of Octobers. Sunny days, chilly nights. The perfect bridge between summer and winter vegetables and fruit. The other night I roasted up some lovely golden potatoes I received from La Nay Ferme. Have you ever had a farm fresh potato before? They are incredible! These golden potatoes were especially delicious – creamy and sweet. They were perfect for this recipe for Roasted Potatoes with Lemon and Capers.
Somewhere in a magazine or online, I saw a recipe for potatoes with lemon and capers and I couldn’t get it out of my head! Lemon and capers are always good together. And I guess if I’m honest, it doesn’t really sound like a fall recipe. Lemon and capers always remind me of being somewhere warm, near water. But it’s fall and I’m roasting everything in site, like I do every fall and winter. Maybe this recipe is like October bridging summer and winter together.
I really have gotten to like lemon zest as an edible garnish. I fried thin strips of lemon zest along with the capers in a little olive oil until they were crispy. It was so good! A squirt of fresh lemon juice and a handful of fresh oregano leaves finished it off. Believe me when I say that we stood at the stove eating these straight from the roasting dish. They are that good. This would be a great Thanksgiving side dish or next to a fish filet.
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. yellow or red potatoes, cut in half or quartered depending on size
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed well
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the potatoes in an even layer in a roasting pan or casserole dish. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle liberally with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in oven and roast for about 40 minutes, testing for doneness after about 30 minutes. Turn potatoes over halfway through roasting time, if desired. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- In a small skillet, add about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the green onions and cook until they start to soften, then add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Next add the capers and lemon zest. Raise the heat a little bit so they sizzle and start to turn crispy, making sure to stir constantly so nothing burns. Immediately pour over the top of the potatoes and squeeze the lemon over the top. Season again with a little more sea salt and pepper and sprinkle with the fresh oregano. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: American
Here are some other recipes using lemons and capers:
Brown Butter and Lemon Sauce with Capers from Real Simple
Oven-Poached Pacific Sole with Lemon Caper Sauce from The New York Times
Cod-Cabbage Purses with Lemon Caper Brown Butter Sauce from Oui, Chef
Lemon Rice with Capers and Parsley from Recipe Girl
Potato Salad with Rosemary and Caper Dressing from Cookin’ Canuck
Pan-Grilled Chicken with Green Olive, Caper, and Lemon Relish from Kalyn’s Kitchen