Something I’ve been trying to do the last little while is sit down and enjoy my meals. I’m busy. (You are too.) And I find myself grabbing something quick (and sometimes not that healthy) on the run or between camera shots or errands or picking up kids from school. It’s paaaainful to sit down and take a break. I am constantly on the move trying to get from one thing to the next, checking things off my list.
My days are surrounded by food and I honestly can’t remember the last time I sat down and really enjoyed eating something. Isn’t that nuts? And by enjoy I don’t mean that something just tasted great. That’s kind of a given. Food in my house always tastes great.
I’m talking about savoring the food–the flavors, the smells, the textures. This salad is all about those three things. And I was all about appreciating them today.
I didn’t share with anyone either. I ate about half for breakfast and the rest throughout the morning into the afternoon. I thought about how sweet and juicy the red grapefruit and oranges were. I loved the little bite from the fresh ginger and the creaminess of the avocados. The red peppers were crunchy and fresh. Everything about this salad was just right, including the cucumbers. I have to make up for all the years I thought I hated them.
- For salad:
- 1 large Hass avocado, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ large cucumber (peeled if desired), diced
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and segmented and cut into chunks, including any juices
- 1 pink or red grapefruit, peeled and segmented and cut into chunks, including any juices
- 4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- For dressing:
- 1-2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. oil (your favorite kind)
- 1 tsp. finely minced ginger
- 1 tsp. lemongrass paste (like Gourmet Garden)
- 1 small handful roughly chopped fresh cilantro (about ¼ cup)
- salt, to taste
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir together dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the fruit and veggies. Gently stir to coat with dressing. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
I’m happy because the sun is out and days are getting longer. Winter just seems interminable! Someday I’ll move to Hawaii or San Diego and then I’ll be warm (or mostly warm) all year long. I think I could easily handle that. :)