When my friend, Barb, told me about this great Honey Thyme Cough Syrup as a great home remedy for colds, I just knew I had to try it.
Over the last 10 years or so I’ve really turned to natural remedies first before I hit the pharmacy. The honey in the syrup is soothing and they thyme offers a host of great healing properties due to Thymol. Thymol is derived from thyme and is a powerful antimicrobial that helps with bronchial and respiratory infections.
To get started, you’ll need boiling water, honey (raw honey is preferable if you have it), and a good-sized bunch of thyme.
Place the thyme in the boiling water and let it steep until the water is completely cool. This takes about 10 minutes.
Remove the thyme from the water.
Whisk the honey into the water.
Strain into a clean jar and refrigerate for up to 2 months, which should keep you ready to go for cold season.
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons organic fresh or dried thyme*
- 1 cup organic raw honey
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat.
- Add the thyme, cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until cooled.
- Strain the mixture and whisk in the honey until dissolved. Store in a glass jar.
- The cough syrup with keep refrigerated for 2 months.
- To use, take 1-2 teaspoons, as needed.