You’ve probably seen the movie, but have you ever made ratatouille? The first time I made it, I had just started my 10 day juice fast and it was very difficult not to eat some. My girls even loved the little cubes of eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers with the fresh tomatoes and loads of garlic. My mouth watered and watered. Last week I received a beautiful little eggplant in my CSA share and couldn’t wait to make ratatouille with it. This is a little twist on the traditional French dish. In this ratatouille pasta, the eggplant, zucchini and peppers are cooked with onion until soft. The cherry tomatoes go into the bowl with the hot pasta so they stay fresh and juicy, barely cooking from the heat of the pasta.
Gluten-Free Ratatouille Pasta
All of the flavors of ratatouille tossed with gluten-free pasta for a healthy, vegetarian main dish.
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 8 oz. gluten-free or regular pasta
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 1 small eggplant, about 1/2–3/4 lb., diced
- 1 small zucchini, about 1/2 to 3/4 lb., diced
- 2 small bell peppers, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
- fresh basil (or a few spoonfuls of pesto)
- 1–2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain the pasta and keep warm while preparing the vegetables.
- In a large non-stick or cast iron skillet, heat oil. Add the eggplant and zucchini cubes. Stir frequently and cook until brown on all sides. Remove from pan and add the onion and peppers. Cook until they start to soften, adding a little more oil (or water) if the onions and peppers stick. Add the garlic and cook a little longer. Add the eggplant and zucchini back to the pan, along with the thyme sprigs. Cook on low until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Gently toss the cooked pasta the vegetables, the basil (or pesto), and the cherry tomatoes. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Dish
I love eggplant, especially in ratatouille. I’ll have to try your version. Love that it’s mixed with pasta.
Lovely photos. Love the black background!
beautiful!! I always think colorful dishes are just better and I’m sure more healthy :)
Just wanted to say that your photos are absolutely gorgeous Lindsey! I love anything with eggplant, so this is just my style :)
Thank you so much, Lisa! You made my day. :)