New Favorite: Lemon Goat Cheese Tart

One of my favorite cookbooks is The Cheese Lover’s Cookbook and Guide by Paula Lambert, owner of the Mozzarella Company based out of Dallas, TX. Paula includes many recipes using goat cheese. One that particularly caught my eye was for a Lemon Goat Cheese Tart.

If you are a new reader, then you probably don’t know how much I adore goat cheese. I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate it into my diet.

I’m sad it took me all this time to finally make this tart. I’ve only owned Paula’s cookbook for something like five years is all.

The crust is buttery, sweet and crisp. The goat cheese and crème fraîche (or sour cream) layer is creamy and rich. The lemon curd layer is tart and bright. Then to top it off, there is a layer of burnt sugar.

I’m in love with everything about this tart. The only change I will make next time is to use a different goat cheese. The one I used was a little mild–more like cream cheese. I like mine to taste a little more goat-like. My favorite fresh goat cheese at the moment is the Chevre made by Shepherds Cheese in Erda, Utah. (You can buy it locally at Whole Foods. It’s soooo yummy.)

(The recipe on the website is a little different than in the book, the one below is the one I used. And if you hate goat cheese, then I suppose you could substitute cream cheese for the fresh goat cheese.)

Lemon Goat Cheese Tart
slightly adapted from The Cheese Lover’s Cookbook and Guide

Ingredients:

For Crust:

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

For Goat Cheese Filling:

4 oz. (1/2 cup) fresh goat cheese (chevre)
1/2 cup crème fraîche (or full fat sour cream)
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour

For Lemon Curd Filling:

6 large eggs yolks
1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter

For Burnt Sugar:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

Instructions:

For Tart Crust:
Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Combine the flour and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Scatter tablespoon size pieces of the cold butter over the dry ingredients. Pulse until the dough comes together into a ball. (Be careful not to overmix.) Remove dough and press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ or 10″ round tart pan with a removable bottom. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove, set aside, and let cool.

For Filling:

Whisk goat cheese, crème fraîche, sugar, egg, and flour together in a small bowl until smooth. Pour into the cooled tart shell. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until just set. (The original recipe says more like 25 minutes, but mine was done after about 15.) Set aside and let cool.

For Lemon Curd:
Place egg yolks, lemon juice, and sugar in a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pot. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, making sure it does not boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Strain through a sieve if desired into a clean bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper directly onto the surface and let it cool. (Can make up to two days in advance. Store tightly covered.) Stir the cold lemon curd to loosen it and spread it over the the goat cheese layer. Chill for several hours until ready to serve.

For Burnt Sugar
Fifteen minutes or so before serving, sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly over the top of the lemon curd layer. Using a culinary torch or a hot broiler, melt the sugar. Chill for a fifteen minutes before cutting into slices.

22 Responses to “New Favorite: Lemon Goat Cheese Tart”

1. {natalie} April 9, 2009 at 4:32 am #

can you save me a slice? i am not sure how i feel about goat cheese but it looks really good.

2. Marie April 9, 2009 at 6:38 am #

That looks fabulous Lindsey. If it was only half as tasty as it looks, it must have been wonderful!!

3. MeetaK April 9, 2009 at 7:38 am #

I love using goats cheese for tarts and cakes. Last summer I made a tart with goats cheese and fresh peaches it had that wonderful “not-too-sweet-but-just-incredible” flavor, as i imagine this to be. love the touch with the caramelized sugar.

4. heidileon April 9, 2009 at 8:16 am #

Beautiful,I agree with Meetak on her love to not so sweet goat cheese tarts. This is greaaat!

5. Cafe Johnsonia April 9, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

MeetaK–I’m going to have to try that. Goat cheese and fresh peaches? I think it sounds like heaven.

Nat–you’d love it like this. I promise.

Marie and Heidi–thank you!

6. vibi April 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

MMMMmmm… this sounds like a winner!!!
    I know some people that are going to be sooooo happy when I bake this! LOL
    Thanks for sharing, Lindsey!

7. Jenny April 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm #

Dude. This just made my week. I am making this ASAP. I love all the things in this recipe. Have you tried Martha Stewart’s apple cake with goat cheese frosting? I have been eyeballing it but sometimes her recipes are stupid.

8. Katie April 9, 2009 at 3:42 pm #

The last 3 desserts I’ve made have been lemon, so I’ve got to skip this or my man might have a fit.

Oh, I made the tilapia dinner the other night and it was PERFECT and SOOOOOO easy. It’ll be a family staple from now on for sure!

9. Maria April 9, 2009 at 3:44 pm #

Lovely tart! It is so pretty and perfect for Spring!

10. Cafe Johnsonia April 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

I know. I bought so many lemons and we’ve had nothing but lemons. Glad you liked the tilapia, Katie!

Thanks, Maria!

11. Kasey April 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

Wow, this sounds incredibly delicious. I love the idea of the fresh goat cheese paired with tangy lemon curd and sugar.

12. Anonymous April 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm #

This sounds amazing. I love goat cheese myself, and I’d love to use it in some sweeter applications.

13. Paige at The Spice House April 9, 2009 at 5:10 pm #

I too love goat cheese in nearly anything – I’m a big fan of the chevre from Capriole Farms in Indiana myself. I usually make a pie or tart every week – this might have to be next week’s! Not only do the flavors look delightful, but I am always a huge fan of recipes that let me play with my kitchen torch.

14. pinkstripes April 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

OMG. I love anything, anything with goat cheese. I found a goat cheese cookbook at Borders one day and I so wanted to buy it, but my husband talked me out of it (he hates goat cheese, can you imagine?).

Your tarts look amazing.

15. Carla April 9, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

How can someone hate goat cheese? It’s the best cheese, ever! The name does scare people though haha

16. Dana April 10, 2009 at 12:13 am #

I love lemon tarts – they are one of my favorite desserts to make because almost everyone I know loves lemon. This is such an interesting twist! I will definitely try it.

17. Hillary April 10, 2009 at 4:19 pm #

This is like a cross between creme brulee and cheesecake made with goat cheese. It looks so good and different!

18. Joanne + Michelle, kookie girls clothing April 11, 2009 at 12:06 am #

looks scrumm-dilly-icious! We love your site and thank you so much for your comments and visiting today! We had so many wonderful comments from SITS!

Joanne

19. Tartelette April 13, 2009 at 3:45 am #

I love goat cheese tarts…made one with blackberries on top the other day and it was delicious! Love the idea of lemon curd and goat cheese together. Oh wow…it’s like heaven for me!!

20. The Food Librarian April 13, 2009 at 10:50 pm #

I love goat cheese. Sounds great!!!

21. Anonymous August 9, 2010 at 5:20 am #

Thank you so much for this delightful recipe!
    It came together beautifully. I could not help but tweak it, and added a puff pastry cage top with candied lemon peel sprinkles! Happiness all around. Thank you for the resource!

22. christi @ burlap and basil December 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Hi! I’ve made a version of this recipe several times in the past few years and always forget to say thank you for posting! I use my recipe for the lemon curd, and pie crust, but that goat cheese filling is divine! I haven’t blogged my version and posted my lemon curd recipe today. I linked to this post since I enjoy this recipe – it’s a keeper! Great for a brunch with fresh fruit and scones. Thanks again!