I made this recipe for Spicy Baked Zucchini Wedges up as I went along and they turned out great! Like most of my recipes, there is a lot of room for interpretation and experimenting. I made these with Mexican spices – ancho chili powder, adobo seasoning, and ground chipotle. That chipotle makes them extra spicy! You could use just about any spice and/or herb combo you like best. I’ve included a few suggestions in the recipe nots.
These wedges are a great alternative to potato fries because they are lower in carbs. Whatever you do, be sure to not over-bake these because they should not be mushy. No one likes mushy zucchini, am I right?
Here are some more recipes made with zucchini that we like:
Garden Vegetable Breakfast Hash
Ratatouille Pasta (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Cream of Fennel and Zucchini Soup with Fennel Pollen
Zucchini Parmesan Casserole
Baked Zucchini, Tomato, Onion Crustless Tart
Tomato Zucchini Bisque with Pistou
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon or more salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. (I probably wouldn’t use a silicone baking mat for this unless you have one specifically for this kind of thing.)
- Cut each zucchini in half through the middle (width) and then into wedges lengthwise to create “fries” about 4″ long and 1/2″ thick.
- Mix the oil, spices and salt together in a large bowl. Add the zucchini wedges and toss to coat with the spice mixture.
- Place the zucchini on the prepared baking sheet, leaving any excess oil/spice mixture in the bowl. Bake the wedges for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are just tender, but not mushy. (Trust me, you don’t want them to be mushy!)
-Other spices such as cumin, cayenne, black pepper, paprika, garlic or onion powder, Old Bay seasoning, etc, can be used in place of the other spices.
-Finely grated lemon zest and fresh herbs can also be used.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side